What’s being proposed? The Department of Health and Mental Hygiene is proposing to amend Chapter 10 of Title 24 of the Rules of the City of New York to: (1) reflect amendments to the Smoke-Free Air Act made by Local Law 152 of 2013 prohibiting the use of electronic cigarettes in certain places; (2) facilitate enforcement of the Smoke-Free Air Act; and (3) repeal provisions that are out of date.
When and where is the Hearing? The Department will hold a public hearing on the proposed rule. The public hearing will take place at 10:00AM until 12:00PM on September 15, 2014. The hearing will be at
New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
Gotham Center, 42-09 28th Street, 14th Floor, Room 14-43
Long Island City, NY 11101-4132
How do I comment on the proposed rules? Anyone can comment on the proposed rules by:
• Website. You can submit comments to the Department through the NYC rules Web site at http://rules.cityofnewyork.us.
• Email. You can email written comments to email@example.com.
• Mail. You can mail written comments to the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, Office of General Counsel, Gotham Center, 42-09 28th Street, 14th Floor, CN 31, Long Island City, New York 11101.
• Fax. You can fax written comments to the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, Office of General Counsel, at (347) 396-6087.
• By Speaking at the Hearing. Anyone who wants to comment on the proposed rule at the public hearing must sign up to speak. You can sign up before the hearing by calling Svetlana Burdeynik at (347) 396-6078/6116. You can also sign up in the hearing room before the hearing begins on September 15, 2014. You can speak for up to five minutes.
Is there a deadline to submit written comments? Yes, you must submit written comments by or before 5:00 p.m. on September 15, 2014.
Do you need assistance to participate in the Hearing? You must tell the Office of General Counsel if you need a reasonable accommodation of a disability at the Hearing. You must tell us if you need a sign language interpreter. You can tell us by mail at the address given above. You may also tell us by telephone at (347) 396-6078. You must tell us by September 2, 2014.
Can I review the comments made on the proposed rules? You can review the comments made online at http://rules.cityofnewyork.us/ on the proposed amendments by going to the website at http://rules.cityofnewyork.us/. All written comments and a summary of the oral comments received by DOHMH will be made available to the public within a reasonable period of time by the DOHMH Office of the General Counsel.
What authorizes the Department to make this rule? Section 1043 of the New York City Charter and sections 17-503, 17-504, 17-505, 17-506, 17-513, 17-513.3 and 17-513.4 of the New York City Administrative Code authorize the Department to make this proposed rule. This proposed rule was not included in the Department’s regulatory agenda for this fiscal year because Local Law 152 had not been enacted when the agenda was prepared.
Where can I find the Commission’s rules? The Department‘s rules are in Title 24 of the Rules of the City of New York.
What rules govern the rulemaking process? The Department must meet the requirements of Section 1043 of the New York City Charter when creating or changing rules. This notice is made according to the requirements of Section 1043(b) of the City Charter.